Painted Cabinet Refresh
A few weeks ago, the guys over at Farrow & Ball got in touch to see if I wanted to have a try at styling their new range of floral wallpapers. I love a good DIY challenge. As I am already a wallpaper addict, I had no walls left to wallpaper, so, I decided to use the wallpaper to give an old cabinet a new lease of life. In my master bedroom, I have a cabinet sitting in the corner. I had originally up-cycled it a few years ago, however, it wasn’t matching my room and it was looking a little tired. I was using it as a dumping ground for fabric samples and clutter. I decided to give this cabinet a makeover and I am going to share with you how I did it in today’s post. It was also lovely to paint a project in Winter as I struggle with the dark evenings. I was able to spend a few hours painting my cabinet each evening this week and I had such a sense of achievement when I finished it.
The first thing I did to the cabinet was prep it for paint. This cabinet was originally a Mexican pine cabinet. I had painted it 3 years ago using an eggshell paint from another brand. The paint was in excellent condition, so, I cleaned down my piece to remove any grime and then I applied two coats of the Farrow & Ball interior wood primer and undercoat. I allowed this to fully dry between coats. This paint is touch dry in two hours and re-coatable in four hours.
Once I was happy with the coverage of the undercoat I applied two coats of the top coat. I chose the colour Calamine. This is a gorgeous blush pink tone. It gets its name after the lotion. Remember calamine lotion as a child? This top coat gave fantastic coverage and a lovely silky smooth finish. It feels really durable too.
I used the Helleborus wallpaper to add a pop of print to the inside of my Cabinet. You can find it over on the Website by clicking here. I used roughly half a roll to paper the inside of the cabinet. I cut the pieces of paper to size and then applied a layer of wallpaper paste to the back. I pattern matched the paper that faces out. Putting the paper inside of the cabinet was the fiddliest part but persevere as it really is worth it. I love adding some paper to a project. It can be easily changed if you get bored with your piece and want to re-do it. This paper was lovely and thick, it was also easy to apply and it was forgiving as it didn’t wrinkle too much.
My cabinet was originally part of a unit. It came with a bottom piece. The lady was only selling the top. I bought the top a few years ago for €50 from a second-hand site. It was always missing something. During the week I was sharing my progress over in my Insta Stories and a few of you guys had suggested adding a set of legs to it. I didn’t think it would be easy to find replacement legs but I decided to have a quick google. I stumbled across an Irish website that had some gorgeous Queen Anne style legs. They weren’t too expensive either. For €8.99 each I got some legs for the cabinet and it completely transformed it. You can find the legs here. I used some gorilla glue to bond them to my unit. Once the gorilla glue cured they were rock solid. I was thrilled when the legs went on.
I am thrilled with how my cabinet has turned out. I am delighted I gave it a make-over, it just fits so much better into my room. I also put together a little video over on my Youtube if you want to have a better look at the cabinet. I am hoping to paint a few more pieces in my master bedroom as it needs a bit of a refresh.
* The guys over at Farrow & Ball kindly gave me the paint and wallpaper for today’s post. This is not a sponsored post and all opinions and reviews are my own.