Dainty’s DIY: painting skirting boards.

Hiya, so today I was busy painting the pine skirting boards in the living room so I decided to do a diy how to blog post as one of the most common questions I get asked is how to paint wood from dark to light. You might have seen in the previous post that I am gonna give my living room a freshen up for spring and one of the jobs was to paint the woodwork.

As I go for the shabby chic cottage style decor in my home I decided to paint the wood work to make my home look brighter and bigger. Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with pine or wood details in the home but just for my style of decor, I wanted to change it.

When painting anything wooden I follow three rules. Prep, prime and paint.

Prep: Lightly sand and was with sugar soap, this gives the paint something to stick to as paint will not stick to grease or grime.

Prime: If you are painting knotty pine wood or any dark stained wood I would always prime to stop any bleed through, although the knots won’t bleed straight away they can bleed over time.

Paint: Generally I do one coat primer and to coats of the paint but some white or cream paints may need an extra coat for full coverage.

What paint to use?

For skirting boards you want a paint that is durable and strong, the paints you can use are gloss, eggshell or satinwood.

I wouldn’t use chalk paint on skirting but I have used chalk paint on one of my doors and sealed with varnish but that is more for the shabby chic look, for skirting boards I would stick to the above paints.

Most brands of paint have a gloss, eggshell or satinwood in their ranges.

I find B&Q has the best selection of paints and the staff are really helpful and full of knowledge.

I used B&Q own brand eggshell in brilliant white on my skirting, the grey coloured door is Autentico eggshell in shade Dolphin.

As you can see in the pictures the lighter woodwork made my house look bigger and brighter, the fun thing I love about your home is that you can experiment with different colours and if you want a pink door then you can, as you can see in the pic below I gave my en suite a pink door, this was autentico chalk paint and I decided not to distress the door  and sealed it with clear matt varnish. If you use gloss, eggshell or satinwood then you do not need to seal with varnish as the finish on them is strong and durable.

One thing I forgot to add was that you also might need a little patience as painting your skirting boards is not as fun as painting furniture. Another post you might find helpful is my shabby chic stair makeover. Let me know if your planning any DIY jobs this January. I love seeing them and the changes you make in your homes.

Don’t forget to leave the link to your blog in the comments section.

Chat soon,

Catherine.

Share:

7 Comments

1. a writing place
    January 6, 2016 / 1:56 pm

Delightful!!!And I agree, there is nothing 'wrong' with wood trim, etc. But white looks lovely, with certain decor. So enjoy your freedom, to choose yours. :-)Being married to a lifetime wood worker and lover of wood, I can't really go painting everything white. -grin- Plus, we have an older home, so it wouldn't 'fit.' But I can enjoy seeing your 'lots-of-white'! And before I forget, I'm so impressed with you, for having purchased your own home. Yes!!! Your investment. Your canvas, to do up, as you wish.Gentle hugs…

• The dainty dress diaries
      January 7, 2016 / 6:22 pm

Aw thanks for reading, are you on Instagram i would love to see more pics of your home, it sounds so warm and cosy. I imagine its like a warm famrhouse style. you must tag me in pics my username is @daintydressdiaries x

2. a writing place
    January 11, 2016 / 5:35 pm

My Instagram….We built this family home nearly 50 years ago, so it is an old home. Comfortable for us. I would love a cottage with just enough rooms, for us now. But we live next door to family, so we won't be moving. So I 'make believe' that the rooms we still use, are "in" a cottage. :-)And if I don't already follow you on IG, I will.Gentle hugs…

3. Susanne Hoffmann
    January 29, 2016 / 4:30 am

I love how your doors are looking now! ��We habe also pine wood doors in our house, and because nearly the Rest is white and ligthly, it doesn't match… And youre right when you say that everything looks even brighter in white ����So i want to Start this project for even two years but im afraid to loose patiens because i would habe to paint 6 doors ��Your post helps me to act brave and looks forwards for the results �� thank you… I hope i find the time to Start soon, its not easy with two little kids in the house�� habe yourself a nice day and of course a happy weekend!I'm looking forwards to your posts on instagram because they brightens up the day!��Greetings from Susi Hoffmann in Germany!��

• The dainty dress diaries
      January 29, 2016 / 12:42 pm

Aw thanks so much Susi for stopping by and reading! It will look amazing once done .Like that take your time as it can be hard when you have distractions X Tag me in pics too on Instagram X Can't wait to see X

4. Unknown
    May 8, 2016 / 8:04 am

Just brought my house two bed terraced and it does lack light ! All the wold is mahogany doors skirting boards pvc Windows which is a nightmare I can't change the colour of the Windows without paying to have new ones! I was looking around and wanted to chalk paint all the mahogany skirtings and doors ? I have no children so the traffic is going to be minimal any advice would be of help! Never done diy really! Love white 🙂

• The dainty dress diaries
      May 8, 2016 / 1:14 pm

My best advice is do definitely prep and use a stain blocking primer! The last thing you want is your white skirting to turn yellow over time so lots of stain blocking primer X